We define 'Design Thinking' as a systems-based approach to solving wicked problems with an emphasis on creativity, sustainability, and transdisciplinarity. This form of creative problem-solving is gaining attention in several disciplines including business, engineering, and design, . Design thinking shows promise because it emphasizes human-centered (rather than economically or technologically driven) research and innovation; it advocates taking a systems-view which can lead to more holistic outcomes; it recommends tackling problems using transdisciplinary approaches, and it emphasizes the need for creative solutions. Design thinking is not just for designers, and when put into practice, it can keep your organization ahead of the innovation curve by:
- Aligning your organization to a common goal
- Helping diverse teams agree on a valuable common language that can aid in collaboration
- Learning techniques that can help you manage challenging projects
- Developing processes by which to execute solutions that improve profits, efficiency, and customer experience
- Making design a key driver of innovation for your organization.
This hands-on and interactive workshop is a simple introduction to the tools and techniques of design thinking and a deep dive into how to integrate it into your work culture and process. Small teams working with peers on practical business cases are an important aspect of this workshop. You will leave with a framework for innovation, a set of tools to use and share, and a practical way to put it to use tackling challenges you might face in your work immediately.
Attendees will learn about:
- The fundamental principles design thinking and how it differs from design
- Principles and components of design thinking
- Simple, actionable tools and processes for each phase of the design process that you can implement immediately
- How to use design thinking inside an organization for innovative outcomes
- Adapting to your situation: how to integrate design thinking into your own work, your work with clients and/or teams, and work within an organization
Who should attend:
You do not have to be a designer - this course is designed for anyone interested in a more human-centered approach to the job that they do.
- Brand Managers
- Government Officials
- Project Managers
- Marketing Professionals
Both days include light breakfast, lunch and facilitated opportunities for networking and peer interaction.
Day 1: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Discussion of design and innovation
Introduction to a comprehensive framework of innovation
Introduction to the principles and components of design thinking
Business cases in design thinking
Day 2: 9:00am - 3:30pm
Integrating the process of design thinking into your specific environment
Workshop fee, per person:
Special Offer: Individual Registration + DMI Membership $1250 USD per person
Discounts of $100 per registration are available:
Multiple Workshops: Those registering for multiple workshops in 1 year.
Group Discounts: Groups of 3 or more from the same organization registering for a workshop.
Please contact dmi at email@example.com or 617-338-6380 to learn more and signup.
2 Embarcadero Center Suite #2400
San Francisco, CA
About Our Facilitator:
Dr. Nelson Soken is CEO of N.H. Soken Consulting and has consulted with the Mayo Clinic, Medtronic, PARC, and Adventium Labs. He has also held leadership, managerial, design, and technical roles at Medtronic, Baxter Healthcare, and Honeywell International. He is also an Executive Associate, consultant, trainer, and thought leader with Barnes & Conti and has conducted training programs across the US, Europe, and Canada for Fortune 500 companies such as IBM, Honeywell, Citi Bank, New York Life Insurance, Yahoo, TI, Medtronic, and the Haas Business School at UC Berkeley in innovation, strategic thinking, intelligent risk-taking, and influence. Dr. Soken has co-authored a book on the psychology of innovation titled Lead the Pack: Sparking Innovation That Drives Customers Wild. Read Dr. Soken's most recent article for the dmi:Review "Creating Design Value Through Understanding Human Cognition and Behavior".