About the Conference
What is DMC?
For 20 years, DMI’s European Design Management Conference has gained recognition as the premier design and business event – attracting an international following. DMI returns to Amsterdam to continue past conversations on Design Value, Design Management and Leadership.
DMC is about case studies, keynotes and workshops, meeting new connections, member check-in and receptions.
DMI conferences are renown for high-level of content – and for their intimate size, allowing for current and emerging leaders to share and discuss strategic issues.
Who should attend?
Anyone managing Design & Innovation, or who wishes to learn more about these disciplines from speakers and their peer executives, Seasoned Design Managers to CDO’s; Brand Directors, Researchers, CEO’s; SME’s to Startup founders challenged to design everything from scratch; current and recent graduates ready to contribute..
How are fees calculated?
Registration and fees are processed in US DOLLARS. There is an option to VIEW your fee in local currency here by clicking on the currency icon during registration or find current rates at http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/. DMI does NOT charge VAT or tax.
What do registration fees cover?
Professional registration fees include:
- Attendance to the conference and all conference materials
- Access to (selected) conference video and slide decks after the conference has closed
- Access to the conference attendee directory
- Lunch and welcome/morning/afternoon coffee service will be provided each full conference day
- At least one evening reception will be held
- Dinners are excluded. We encourage delegates to group together in the evening and enjoy Amsterdam!
Do I have to be a DMI member to register?
No. The conference is open to everyone. However, DMI members are eligible to receive significant discounts off the registration rates, as well as being able to participate in member-only events, such as the Member Check-in and Check-Out activities. Learn more about DMI membership and join here.
How do I register?
If you are a DMI member, or have previously registered for an event, purchased a product on dmi.org, or are on our mailing list:
- Go here to start registration
- Log in with your user name and password.
- If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it here.
- If you are new to our site:
- Please go to “Sign In” on the homepage, and “Click here to join”
- You’ll be prompted to select your level connection: DMI member or Non-member Guest, and complete a brief profile. This information will be shared on your profile page, as well as the conference rsvp page.
- Select your conference options: full conference program with or without Awards Gala dinner, select days, etc.
- Confirm your total and proceed to checkout and payment.
- If you require an invoice, please contact DMI. However, please be advised that payment is due in full prior to the conference to be admitted. Your name will also not show in the rsvp list until payment is processed.
- If you encounter any problems, please contact email@example.com or phone at 617-338-6380.
Can we get a discount for group registrations?
Yes. We encourage teams and departments to attend our events together. We’re happy to discuss options and rates for 3 or more people registering from the same company. Contact Patricia Olshan for prices.
Can I buy a one-day pass to the conference?
Yes. We value people’s time and budgets, and allow the flexibility to attend. Rates are posted on the registration page. However, please keep in mind: there is not only significant savings by registering for the full conference, you will also be able to attend member events, as well as connect with all attendees.
Do you offer Educator, Non-Profit and Student rates?
Yes. We have a limited number of available reduced tickets to the conference. Educators, associates, and students must be involved full-time in their organization or program to qualify.
Registration details can be found here.
Can I get a media pass for the conference?
Yes. We have limited number of media passes conference only for those qualified that will be sharing the news with a broader audience. One media pass will be provided per news organization. Please contact Anne Lyon for more information and to request a media pass.
Do you offer any complimentary registrations?
No. At this time, we are unable to offer complimentary registrations to anyone. This policy is based on our firm commitment to equity and fairness.
What is the cancellation policy?
Our policy is stated here. To avoid a cancellation fee, we strongly urge you to find a replacement to fill your registration seat.
How do I receive conference materials?
We will have everyone’s name badge and program book at registration on Tuesday or Wednesday morning. There is no need to bring anything with you!
What is member Check-In and Check-Out?
Join new and long-time DMI members in these gatherings to build community. Share personal and professional insights in a supportive and safe environment. This is a great opportunity to get to know your member community! You can become a DMI member now!
What can I expect as a new DMI member and attendee?
Information on this page can answer a lot of questions, but, the DMI community is always available to share their expertise! You will be sent a welcome package shortly that provides you with a roadmap on DMI content and programs, as well as being paired with a DMI Advisor at the conference, who can further guide you and introduce you to others.
Location, Venue, & Accommodations
Where is the conference located?
DMC Europe will take place at De Nieuwe Liefde (‘The New Love’) in the quiet Oud-West & Jordaan District. A theatre and community centre on Amsterdam’s Da Costakade, it was originally constructed in 1904 as storage space for a local wine company. The building has been thoroughly renovated by Wiel Arets Architects in 2010.
DNL is easily accessible by foot or tram. Directions can be found here:
Is there a conference hotel or special rates?
No. De Nieuwe Liefde does not offer hotel accommodations. All conference participants are responsible for their own hotel arrangements and transportation to/from the venue. Please make your reservations EARLY.
Hotel De Hallen has limited rooms available at a special DMI conference rate. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and mention "DMI conference" for availability. The Hotel De Hallen is part of the boutique Vondel Hotels, which also features Hotel Vondel, Hotel Roemer & Hotel JL№76, ALL are not too far from De Nieuwe Liefde. Please contact email@example.com to inquire for availability at special rates at Vondel Hotels, and mention "DMI conference”.
Do you have recommendations of where to stay?
There are many hotels and options in Amsterdam to suit tastes and budgets – ranging from basic to luxury to cutting-edge design, and, of course plenty of airbnb. We suggest you review hotel websites and hotel search engines (www.booking.com, www.hotels.com, www.airbnb.com, etc.) for best rates and www.tripadvisor.com for reviews. Suggestions can be found here.
What is the dress code?
Business casual for the conference and events.
What is the weather like in Amsterdam?
With temperatures on the rise and tulips in bloom, spring is a nice time to visit. The average high temperature for the month of May is 17°C (62°F) with most days reaching 12°C (53°F). The evenings are still cool enough to need a light jacket with an average overnight low of 8°C (46°F).
Is De Nieuwe Liefde wheelchair accessible?
Yes, the conference venue conforms to accessibility codes.
Do you offer special meals for attendees with food allergies?
Please contact Patricia Olshan BEFORE 16 May. Special requests will be communicated with the venue.
Code of Conduct
We believe a clear code of conduct is a necessary part of building a respectful community space. All DMI delegates, speakers, sponsors and volunteers at our conference are required to agree with the following code of conduct:
- Be friendly and patient.
- Be welcoming. We strive to be a community that welcomes and supports people of all backgrounds and identities.
- Be considerate. Your work will be used by other people, and you in turn will depend on the work of others. Remember that we're a global community, so you might not be communicating in someone else's primary language.
- Be careful in the words that you choose. We are a community of professionals, and we conduct ourselves professionally. Be kind to others. Do not insult or put down other participants.
- When we disagree, be respectful and try to understand why. Disagreements, both social and technical, happen all the time and DMI is no exception. It is important that we resolve disagreements and differing views constructively. Remember that we’re different. The strength of DMI comes from its varied community, people from a wide range of backgrounds and passions.
We welcome your feedback on this and every other aspect of DMI, and we thank you for working with us to make it a safe, enjoyable, and friendly experience for everyone who participates.
Are Sponsorship Opportunities available?
Yes. With an international base of over 30,000+ leaders in more than 40 countries, reaching the right decision and budget makers is easily achieved. Collaborating with DMI is an investment in global relationships for your brand, team, clients and your future.
A wide variety of promotional opportunities are available to keep your company’s name front and center in the minds of conference attendees, before, during and after their conference experience. Options are listed here, and contact Patricia Olshan to discuss the programs.
Almost everything you need to know about your stay in Amsterdam can be found at http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/local/about-amsterdam. Connect with other conference delegates via Twitter at #DMC16 to explore together.
Where to shop:
Amsterdam’s food thrives on the city’s cosmopolitan nature, infusing the flavours and scents of diverse cuisine – from Indonesian to Surinamese, Indian and Italian (and yes, Nederlandse too). A good local resource is Dining City https://www.diningcity.nl/en/amsterdam