CEOs identify creativity as the top leadership competency of the successful enterprise of the future.
-Frank Kern, Former SVP, IBM Global Business Services, now CEO Aricent
Design education is being upended by challenges to traditional approaches and by calls for new methodologies. A better understanding of the changing dynamics in global design education is needed. FuturED is an initiative that will result in a benchmark analysis of vocabulary, tools and curricula for training professional design and innovation leaders in today's rapidly changing world.
The first approach DMI took to understand the changing dynamics around design education was to facilitate a meeting of stakeholders. The first dmi:FuturED symposium was held in 2013.
DMI: futurED Summit
The first DMI: futurED Summit brought together business, design, and education through primary research and a series of facilitated conversations with global design thinking practitioners, educators and students to define:
- Shared vocabulary around Design Thinking & Design Management
- Desired educational outcomes that meet the changing needs of today's design and innovation leaders
- Define the landscape of graduate design thinking schools globally to help guide industry and students
- Identify an optimal pathway to educational standards for graduate design education
- What role should design and design thinking play in business education to stimulate creativity and innovation in business?
- What business subjects need to be taught in design school?
- What do students desire from undergraduate and graduate school design education?
- What does an optimal career look like?
Since then, DMI has hosted meetings in Berlin, Boston and Amsterdam to include a global diversity of voices and experiences.
Next, DMI recognized the opportunity to facilitate a global survey of 3 aspects of future design education:
This DMI FuturED Survey Project audits design and innovation practitioners, educators, and students to capture global trend data to share back with the DMI community. Find the short survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FuturED
- Critical design skills & mindsets
- Educational environments
- Learning methodologies
Participate in futurED
DMI welcomes community participation in futurED. We are seeking seeking hosts, sponsors, contributors and attendees for global futurED Summits. If you are interested in participating in any capacity, contact the DMI staff at email@example.com
Founding dmi: futurED Summit Partners
Founding Research Partners